Whether you’re a landlord or a tenant – for residential or commercial property – knowing what’s in your lease and how that may affect and protect your rights and property, is essential.
The law in these areas frequently changes and if not carefully considered against your circumstances may present complex legal issues that you have to take the time to rectify.
Don’t let that happen. Instruct Colemans.
Our Commercial and Residential Property teams are extremely experienced in dealing with both commercial and domestic leases and tenancy agreements. We understand and keep pace with the regulations and case law to ensure that your best interests are protected at all times.
We can act for you either as landlord or tenant on all types of premises including offices, factories, warehouses, garages, hotels, public houses, restaurants, takeaways, shops, flats and houses.
When things go wrong and you are heading for a dispute, our litigation team also has a wide range of experience in these matters and can give you the edge in negotiations or proceedings.
Leases and Tenancy Agreements – our areas of expertise…
- Leases. Preparing new leases, deeds of variations and surrenders; lease extensions and statutory enfranchisement.
- Landlord and Tenant Act 1954.
- Security of tenure. Advising on security of tenure under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954;
- Advising on compensation
- Court applications. E.g. for new tenancies.
- Both granting and resisting new tenancies including serving Section 25 Notices for the Landlord and making Section 26 requests for tenants requiring new Leases;
- Section 146. Notices and forfeiture.
- Covenants. Modifications of covenants contained in long Leases including applications to the Lands Tribunal;
- Breaches of Covenant. Advice on remedies for landlords and tenants on breach of covenant;
- Dilapidations. Advice in connection with repairing covenants, dilapidations issues and service of schedules of dilapidations;
- Licences. Preparing licences to assign, licences to underlet and licences for alterations;
- Break clauses. Advising Tenants and Landlords upon break clauses; rent reviews and options to extend;
- Consent to assignments and underleases. Advice on when and when not to withhold consent to assignments and underleases and what is appropriate collateral security;
- Remedies for refusing consent to assignments or underleases. Remedies for tenants when consent to assignment or underletting is unreasonably withheld;
- Landlord/Tenant Relations. Tactics and procedures when dealing with difficult landlords or tenants;
- Rent arrears. Recovery of rent arrears and possession proceedings;
Need to understand your lease? Instruct Colemans.
…We’re a winning combination of legal knowledge, experience and service.