“Getting the best results for my clients is still the best part of what I do. Even the most challenging scenarios have a solution just waiting to be discovered. I take great delight in those discoveries and making things happen.”
Michael has been a partner for most of the 32 years he has been at Colemans and today, is MPartner and Head of Commercial Property. A driving force within the firm, he is widely regarded as one of the most experienced and effective lawyers in the area. Very much a professionals’ choice among sellers, buyers, developers, landlords and tenants, agents and surveyors, Michael achieves winning results – even in the most complex of situations.
Key expertise and experience
- Commercial and development property, sales and acquisitions: construction contracts and related appointments; conditional contracts and options; planning agreements and joint ventures.
- Acquisition and sale of businesses. Shares or asset transactions; property implications and pitfalls; sale and leaseback: change of use; landlords’ and mortgagees’ consents.
- Town and country planning. Planning restrictions; local government liaison; retrospective/breach of planning, indemnity insurance and planning agreements.
- Landlord and Tenant. Advice on rent reviews, break clauses, covenants, dilapidations; lease renewals and lease forfeitures. Preparing new leases, deeds of variation, licences to assign and underlet, licences to alter and surrenders.
- Large-scale Commercial Property deals involving multiple parties.
- Complex Lease work – commercial and residential.
- Town and Country planning – commercial and residential. Michael’s early career experience as an in-house lawyer for local government – and his subsequent work for developers – gives him vital insight into how planning works – from the inside out.
- Being direct, thorough and effective.
- Giving focused advice, providing solutions and achieving exceptional results – even in the most complex of situations.
- Understanding the needs and challenges faced by businesses.
- His local knowledge of the area and invaluable business relationships spanning agents, surveyors, architects, developers, bankers and many other professionals.
- Heading up the acquisitions of some landmark headquarter buildings for clients.
- Notably exceeding expectations in sales of development of sites. For example, negotiating £1.5M overage in one instance.
- Acting for sellers in relation to 55+ unit sites to national developers.
Outside of work…
Michael lives in Maidenhead and is married with three adult children. He was a keen rugby player and, although no longer playing, still maintains a keen interest in the game. When work commitments permit, he trains at a local gym and is a keen and accomplished skier.