Consent Orders in Divorce Proceedings

October 19, 2020

What is a consent order, and what purpose does it serve? A consent order is the legal document that sets out the terms of the agreed settlement reached between the parties in divorce proceedings. This could include your home, bank accounts (whether in joint or individual names), shares, other investments and pensions.  It can also…

View Article

How has COVID-19 impacted upon Child Arrangements during lockdown

June 8, 2020

Covid-19 has posed some very different and difficult issues for us all particularly those who are parents co-habiting after separation.  The common issue, being where one party refuses the other party to have contact with the children during lockdown. Where there is an ongoing child arrangements order (Court order) for contact, the arrangements set out…

View Article

Pre-nups inheritance act claims

July 11, 2019

Rosita Hendry v Michael Hendry This case involved a couple who met in 2001 in the Philippines and married in 2003. Prior to marriage they entered into a pre-nup, whereby if the parties separated the wife would receive a lump sum payment of £10,000.00 in addition to the cost of a flight back home to…

View Article

Thousands apply online for divorce – including 13 on Christmas Day

January 4, 2019

With an ever increasing number of clients seeking advice about divorce after the Christmas period, it is important to note that whilst an online divorce may appear to be the quickest route it is not always appropriate in all cases, therefore it is always sensible to seek legal advice beforehand particularly in relation to financial…

View Article

Why choose a Resolution member to represent you?

December 17, 2018

We are pleased to announce that Denise Bullock, family law solicitor is a member of Resolution. What is Resolution? Resolution is a community of family justice professionals who work with families and individuals to resolve issues in a constructive way. Resolution membership is about the approach we as solicitors take to our work. This means…

View Article

Marriage versus cohabitation – the legal status

May 4, 2016

According to figures from the National Office of Statistics, divorce rates have fallen to their lowest level for 40 years. There has been a significant rise in the proportion of couples marrying after a period of cohabitation, with the data pointing to these marriages surviving the so-called “seven year itch”. It seems that many couples…

View Article

Contact with children following divorce

December 14, 2015

Every year, 12,000 couples with children decide to live apart. As the recent high-profile case of Rebecca Minnock and her son Ethan illustrated, making arrangements for parenting following the break-up of a relationship can be challenging. Section 1 of the Children Act 1989 states that whenever a court has to make a decision concerning the…

View Article

Full and frank disclosure required of all parties

October 16, 2015

A landmark ruling by the Supreme Court made on 14th October 2015 sends a “shot across the bows” to parties in divorce cases by reiterating the Court’s sanctioning power if parties are found to be fraudulent and dishonest about their finances and, in doing so, seek to mislead the Court. The joint appeals of Alison…

View Article

Who gets what – dividing assets on divorce

August 7, 2015

There are no hard and fast rules governing how assets should be divided on divorce. There is a broadly applied principal starting point of a 50:50 split. The objective is to apportion assets in a way that meets the needs of both parties and is reasonable and fair. If the parties can’t agree on how…

View Article
© Colemans Solicitors LLP, 2020
Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority no. 459897.

The information given on this website is not a comprehensive review of the law and practices in this area and does not constitute legal advice on a specific issue. Colemans Solicitors LLP does not therefore accept liability if you rely on or apply this information to your specific situation without taking bespoke advice. To seek detailed legal advice in relation to your specific circumstances or transaction please contact us.