Latest posts

The Importance of LPAs

April 12, 2021

The nightmarish experiences of Kate Garraway in trying to cope with the consequences of her husband Derek Draper’s incapacitation by COVID have been made even worse, as she has explained, because the couple had not made Lasting Powers of Attorney. This has left her unable to get hold of critical financial assets, and with no…

View Article

How can we help you with the least disruption to your daily life?

April 12, 2021

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused unprecedented disruption to everyone’s lives. Although the government guidance evolves on a daily basis, the current advice is to stay at home unless it is necessary to leave home. This, of course, is impacting the way that we work with our clients. We have, however, introduced new and efficient ways of working that we will continue…

View Article

What if I die without a Will?

March 19, 2021

Basic principles – the Three Steps First, if you own something jointly with someone else, then property law may operate automatically to pass your share to the surviving co-owner/s, outside your estate. This applies only to joint assets held under a ‘joint tenancy’.  If an asset is jointly-owned under a ‘tenancy-in-common’, then your share does…

View Article

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards for Commercial Properties and How They Affect You

March 5, 2021

The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 (SI 2015/962), known as the MEES Regulations for reasons that will become obvious, require a “minimum energy efficiency standard” to be met before properties can be let in certain circumstances.  The aim is to improve the energy efficiency of both residential and commercial private…

View Article

Stamp Duty Land Tax “holiday” extended to 30 June 2021

March 4, 2021

The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, has today confirmed that the Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) holiday introduced last year as part of the government’s package of measures to combat the economic impact of Covid-19 is to continue to 30 June 2021. On 8 July 2020 the Chancellor announced that, as a temporary measure, buyers would not…

View Article

Inheritance Tax Mitigation: Can I give my home to my child(ren)?

March 1, 2021

You have been doing some reading and your home is clearly the most valuable asset in your estate and if you gift it to your children, your estate will not have an expensive Inheritance Tax bill to pay. Or perhaps you have a number of properties and are thinking of giving your second home to…

View Article

Possession proceedings – the latest

February 24, 2021

If you are a landlord of residential property and have been experiencing problems with your tenant(s) over the last 12 months, you may have served the tenant(s) with a section 21 or section 8 notice to bring the tenancy to an end. If you have issued possession proceedings, you will no doubt have been very…

View Article

What do I do when someone dies?

February 15, 2021

DON’T PANIC.  Everything seems scary and confusing, but there is very little that has to happen quickly and, apart from those few things, everything else can wait until you feel up to dealing with business. Register the death The first thing you have to do, and do within five days, is register the death.  This…

View Article

Children’s Mental Health Week 2021

February 4, 2021

Children’s Mental Health Week is taking place from Monday 1st to Sunday 7th February 2021. The aim is to shine a spotlight on the importance of children and young people’s mental health. This year’s theme is “Express Yourself”. Place2Be, the charity behind Children’s Mental Health Week, are encouraging children to explore the different ways that…

View Article
© Colemans Solicitors LLP, 2021
Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority no. 459897.

The information given on this website is not a comprehensive review of the law and practices in this area and does not constitute legal advice on a specific issue. Colemans Solicitors LLP does not therefore accept liability if you rely on or apply this information to your specific situation without taking bespoke advice. To seek detailed legal advice in relation to your specific circumstances or transaction please contact us.